The winter holidays are many people’s favorite time of year; the baking, holiday traditions and decorations are so exciting, but sometimes can be costly. Many folks are already investing money into food preparation, travel expenses and presents. Even with all the joy of the holiday season, it can be a fairly trying time for all. Luckily, The Senator is here to help! With these do-it-yourself hacks and crafts, make your holiday experience less costly, less stressful and more fun!
Tea light snowmen are a fast, easy and adorable way to decorate your home or work for winter. Only a few tea lights, a black and orange sharpie, red ribbon, red pipe cleaners, red pom poms and a glue gun are needed, which can all be found at your local craft store or online.
1. The first step is proper placement of the tealight. The “flame” of the light will serve as the snowman’s nose, so be sure to have the tea light facing up and proceed to draw a face using the nose as a reference point. Two eyes and a mouth are all that is needed, but add more details if desired.
2. Next cut a piece of red pipe cleaner so that it is approximately 2.5” long and curve it around the tea light. Add a small line of hot glue to both ends to hold it in place.
3. Add dabs of hot glue on the sides of the tea light where the ears would be and glue on the red pom poms. Now the snowman has tiny earmuffs!
4. For the next step, cut out a piece of ribbon about 4.5” long and cross it over itself to form a scarf. Now add a small line of glue along the back of the scarf and attach it to the back of the tea light.
5. Cut a piece of ribbon, approximately 11” long, and slide it under the pipe cleaner. Tie a knot to keep the ribbon together so your snowman can be hung up and proudly displayed!
6. Lastly, use an orange sharpie to color the flame of the tea light, so it looks more like a carrot.
Another fun do-it-yourself activity is making gift bags. But not just any gift bag; these bags are filled with supplies for making hot chocolate and look like Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer! To make these cuties, you will need two piping bags, one hot chocolate packet, two tablespoons mini chocolate chips, one-third cup of mini marshmallows, one red pom pom ball, two googly eyes, tan or brown pipe cleaner, ribbon, glue, scissors, a stapler and a single hole punch.
1. To start, pour hot cocoa mix into a piping bag, pushing it all the way to the tip.
2. Next, cut off the top of the piping bag at approximately 2” above the top of the hot cocoa. Fold the excess 2” of the piping bag in and down and staple to close.
3. Put the bag of hot cocoa into another piping bag and flatten.
4. For the next step, layer in mini chocolate chips and a add layer of marshmallows. Cinch the top of the bag and tie on a ribbon.
5. Wrap a pipe cleaner around the bag just above the ribbon. Shape it into antlers.
6. Next, place wiggle eyes near the top of the hot cocoa mix and glue in place.
7. To finish, glue a pom pom near the tip of the bag for Rudolph’s nose and trim off the excess piping bag above antlers.
by Olivia Santos